Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sweden: Fear and giggles: A day as a Jew in Malmö


Patrick Reilly, a journalist for the Swedish news-site The Local, spent a day walking around Malmö with a kippah.
Well, it didn't take long before I got the feeling that I was on display as I walked towards Möllevången. Möllan, as it is referred to by locals, is the bohemian quarter of Malmö with a bustling fruit and veg market manned largely by immigrants by day and pubs serving cheap beer by night. 
I've walked down this street countless times in my normal garb, without causing as much as a backwards glance. Now, it was as if I had two heads judging by the number of stares arrowed in my direction. 
As I passed a well-known bar I spotted some lunchtime coffee drinkers looking open mouthed in my direction. Navigating the fruit and vegetable stalls it was obvious that I was being stared at by shoppers and stall workers.

More: The Local, interview by Tablet Magazine

No comments :

Post a Comment