Thursday, December 5, 2013

Norway: "I'm afraid my Judaism will be used against me, and will be used to harass me"


Nikolaj Kahn, a Jewish psychologist recently wrote an op-ed in Aftenposten, lamenting the fact that Jews in Norway don't feel they can expose themselves as Jews anymore.

Kahn writes that he recently visited New York, and there he saw Jews wearing the Star of David, Jews who were openly proud of their identity and culture.

"I was surprised by my immediate reaction when I saw the Star of David in public.  I felt shame, that it was something I wanted to hide."

Growing up in Trondheim in the 80s and 90s, he had been proud of being a Jew.  Sharing his Jewish experiences with friends, he felt welcomed.  But things have changed for Jews in Norway.  Shots were fired at the synagogue in Oslo, a Molotov cocktail thrown at the synagogue in Trondheim, Jews have received mail with death threats, threatened and attacked on the street.  Conspiracy theories abound.

It's becoming harder to be Jewish.  He writes that fewer people come to services, and many of his friends and family feel uncomfortable exposing themselves as Jews.

"I put away my Star of David many years ago.  So long ago, that I don't know where it is by now.  It's not certain there would be serious consequences for me if I go around with it, but I don't take chances.  I'm afraid my Judaism will be used against me, and will be used to harass me.  I will feel small and different, as a stranger in my own home."

"I once wore it with pride.  Today I don't wear the Star of David because I want to protect myself from feeling unwanted."

More: Aftenposten

No comments :

Post a Comment