Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UK: 'I looked at his shirt and saw 'Kill the Jews' and was truly shocked'


Via the Independent:
Rabbi Arnold Saunders remembers clearly his shock at the slogan he noticed printed on the back of a man wearing a Manchester United shirt as he was driving one day in Salford. It read: “Kill the Jews.”

The 54-year-old cleric, a Reds fan since the age of nine, has experienced more than his fair share of violent anti-Semitism. He was once punched in the face outside his synagogue in an unprovoked attack. He has also been pelted with eggs and had abuse yelled into his face.

But it is the blatant hatred of the man in the football shirt which has stayed with him as a symbol of the casual hatred which the rabbi and members of his community, in Higher Crumpsall and Higher Broughton areas of Manchester, have to endure.

He told The Independent: “The man was driving and I noticed his shirt. I looked because I wanted to see what name he had on his shirt – Rooney, Cantona, whoever. Then I saw ‘Kill the Jews’ and I was shocked, truly shocked.

No comments :

Post a Comment