Tuesday, February 10, 2015

UK: "I don’t want to sit at home panicking when my husband goes to the synagogue"


Via the Telegraph:
The findings are borne out by the Goulds’ experience. “The other week, I was standing in the queue at a large supermarket in Manchester when the man in front of me said, 'F------ Jews, they’re all over the place. They’re thieves, they are taking over our property. They’re everywhere,’?” says Honey. “I’ve no idea if he knew I was Jewish or not, but I was absolutely terrified, and fled.”

Then a Jewish neighbour’s son who was wearing his kippa (skull cap) was slapped in the street by a white Polish man, who “just sprang forward and hit him”.

Honey says: “I know there are plenty of people who simply want to live a peaceful coexistence. But there is so much anti-Semitism in Britain, and it’s coming from all sides. Our local Jewish schools look like prison camps. They’re surrounded by wire fences. There are guards on patrol, some with dogs. On Saturdays, you see police walking the street with members of the CST. I don’t want to sit at home panicking when my husband goes to the synagogue. I just want to live in peace.

(...)

Radical Islam, agrees Simon, is not the only driving force behind the rise in anti-Semitism. The far-Left habitually conflates Jews with Israel and Zionism, he says. The far-Right, meanwhile, may be “happy firing salvos at the Muslim population, but I know we are only one step away from their wrath,” he says.

Having spent 10 years on the northern board of the CST, he is acutely aware of how bad things have become. “I’ve been exposed to, and become familiar with, spiralling anti-Semitism,” he says. “Eggs hurled from passing cars, swastikas on Jewish headstones, messages of hatred. Last summer, central Manchester – a place I love and have always lived in – became a flashpoint for virulent anti-Israel demonstrations. It was terrifying to see this on the streets of my home city.”

He praises the Government’s response to the problem, but doubts its ability to stop it.

No comments :

Post a Comment