Tuesday, March 14, 2017

UK: Anti-Semitic messages left on Sussex’s ‘Before I Die’ wall



Via The Tab:

An anti-Semitic message has been written on Sussex’s ‘Before I Die’ board just 24-hours after its installation.

The message reported today read: “Jet fuel can’t melt Jews. Holocaust was an inside job”.

Vice-Chanceller Adam Tickell today confirmed on Twitter that the comment had been removed from the wall.

The aim of the ‘Before I Die’ art project is to let individuals reflect on themselves as well as exhibit common humanity and get a better idea of what it means to be human.

However, the chalkboard box on Library Square has been deface with anti-Semitic, pro-Nazi and pro-Holocaust statements.

This incident has raised a question of diversity and protection of Jewish students as it is the second hate crime that has occurred on Sussex’s campus in the past month following Nazi propaganda stickers appearing in campus buildings.

The art installation is mainly filled with messages of personal aspirations such as “Before I die I want to graduate” and a typically Sussex responses of “Before I die I want to smash the patriarchy”.

Unfortunately, the hateful messages have tarnished the positive aim of the project.

There has been reactions on social media which has triggered disgust and sadness among Sussex students on social media, with one comment picturing another message saying “Before I die I want to see end of Israel”.

read more

No comments :

Post a Comment