Friday, January 3, 2014

Hungary: "On Fridays, neo-Nazis gather outside the capital's synagogues, giving the Nazi salute"


The mood in Budapest's synagogues is one of tension and resignation. Tamas Vero, one of the new generation of rabbis, says that some in the Jewish community have emigrated to Israel, others to Vienna and Berlin.  
"My wife would like to leave, for the children. We don't exist in Hungarian history books, and many people feel like we are back in 1933." He says that on Fridays, neo-Nazis gather outside the capital's synagogues, giving the Nazi salute.  
"I have told my wife that I am like the captain of a ship, I have to be the last to leave, and that it isn't true that we are hated in Hungary. What can I do? But she is right to be fearful: the state and the government are not protecting us properly. In any event, I am still able to walk around wearing my kipa, although in some areas of the city I put it under my hat. But the main target is the Gypsies."

More: El Pais

No comments :

Post a Comment