Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hungary: "One day I would collect the bones of my husband on the street"



The 42-year-old works as a teacher in a small Hungarian city near Budapest. For 10 years, she's been married to a Jewish man. The marriage that has greatly affected the relationship with her father.

(...)

In our small city, the farmer's market is a main meeting place for old, right-wing men. They meet, exchange their views and theories, and work themselves up. My dad used to go there, too. One day he came to our house with a message from his friends: they said, that it could very well happen, that one day, two or three of our windows would be broken and that one day I would collect the bones of my husband on the street.

And then, on another day, he yelled: "A dirty Jew is not going to inherit anything from me!" He disinherited me because of my marriage. We’re not speaking anymore.


More: Deutsche Welle

No comments :

Post a Comment